Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Nursing homes, Mother’s Day, and Restaurants...

Nursing homes, Mother’s Day and Restaurants...what in the world do those three things have in common?

Well, I hear next to New Year’s Day and Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day ranks third as the largest turn out for restaurants. One person said, “It’s a way to honor mom, give her a break and get her out of the house...”

Personally, I’ve been thinking a ton about Mother’s Day this year. Just this past week, my mom was put into a nursing care facility. Her legs just stopped functioning and even with all the strength that my dad has, he just couldn’t give her the care she needs.

Mom has always been the stalwart. Even as her body has aged and her gait slowed, she’s had a way of persistently keeping on. In my mind, I keep thinking this “change” can’t feel good for either her or dad. Sure they’ve weathered numerous “changes” over their fifty plus years of marriage, but this one has to have rocked their world. I’ve felt the tremors and I’m 3,000 miles away.

Everyone always says, “Change is inevitable!” And I would agree, but when it hits home and hits your mom, it’s not always easy.

This Mother’s Day weekend, May 8th & 9th, Sue and I will be speaking at The Crossing at ALL 6 weekend services (Saturday at 5:30 p.m. and Sunday at 8:30, 9:30, 10, 11, & 11:30 a.m.) regarding “Change!” I’m excited that I get to share the platform with my best friend and my babe. Do not miss it. We are looking forward to sharing this weekend with you!

This Mother’s Day, I wish I could give my mom a break, honor her and get her out of her situation. Seems trite, but I’d even take her to a restaurant; I think she’d even like it.

Thanks for reading,


Tim Celek
Lead Pastor
The Crossing

P. S. There are two nights left to do a Building Walk Thru on the campus of The Crossing, Wednesday, May 5th and Thursday, May 6th from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. Sign up here.