Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I'm Tebowing Today!

Most people see a headline like, "I'm Tebowing today" and if they've kept up at all with the images and news posts, they might think I'm kneeling or praying.  Actually, the dude, Tim Tebow made me think of Day 2's reading, http://bit.ly/y2aaAU, from James 1:2-4.  I read from The Message version of the Bible where it says in verse 2, "Consider it a sheer gift, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides..."

My initial reaction is, "You've got to be kidding, right? A gift? Come on, be serious!  Who considers tests, trials, difficulties, challenges as a potential "blessing" or opportunity."  Most of the time, it can be an reason to whine or complain or at the very least ask, "Why me?"

Yet, what God reminded me of this day is, who I am inside is revealed by how I respond on the outside, not just in good times, but in times that really stink.  So I today, I thought of Tebow.  He's been maligned and bad mouthed by everyone, yet He continues to sincerely smile.  He seems to always be thinking, here's a chance to represent my Lord, Jesus Christ.

See God wants to use the "sucky" times of life to shape me in my character.  The Good News is God is consistent, Romans 5:1-5 says the same thing in a bit different way.

Therefore, God, I'm making a commitment to you this day...to walk out life knowing that every circumstance and situation, good or bad, is a chance to represent you.  I'm looking forward to the value added possibility of developing more maturity as my character is shaped like yours.

It's a bit scary but I'll say it anyway, "Bring it on!!!"

Tim Celek
Lead Pastor
The Crossing
facebook.com/timcelek
twitter.com/timcelek
facebook.com/thecrossingcm