Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ever felt like a COMPLETE idiot?


So have you...ever...felt like a complete (not partial), but total idiot? Yesterday, around 6:30 p.m., Sue and I were nearing our final destination. We were 30 minutes away from meeting Joe and Debbie Boyd (a former staff member of The Crossing) for dinner in Cincinnati, Ohio, when all of a sudden, the phone rings in my bluetooth headset inside my helmet...

The conversation went something like this...

"Hi, Tim!"
"Hi...who is this?"
"Melissa..."
"Melissa???"
"Yes, Melissa, are you very far away, we're all here & ready for dinner?"
"For dinner???"
"Yes, you said you would be here at 5ish and everyone (Bubble inside my helmet reads...tons of Cousins, remember I'm from Ohio) is here and we are waiting for you..."
"Me...??????"
"Yes...you...you said you'd be in Columbus on Wednesday, July 15 with our family, my brothers and my parents and our kids..."
LONG PAUSE...
"I'm in Cincinnati..." (Bubble inside my helmet...but I'm 2 1/2 hours away and have dinner plans with the Boyds)
"You said in your email that you would be here on Wednesday, July 15...in fact, you even gave me two possible dates and then I asked which one it was and you indicated, Wednesday and so after being sure of the date, I invited my parents and my brothers..."
LONG PAUSE...
"I am such and idiot! I'm so sorry! I can't believe I've done this to you! Can we still do dinner tomorrow? Can I bring something with me? Can I pay for your house payment? Your parent's (They drove 1 1/2 hours to see Sue and me) gas? Can I pay for your kids college education? I can't believe I'm such an idiot. I've never done anything like this before. I'm so sorry."
LONG PAUSE...
"That's okay, I'm sure you've got a lot on your mind...we'll just save the meal for tomorrow night."
LONG PAUSE...
"I'm SOOOOOOOOOO sorry. I can't believe I did this to you ALL..., if you'll still have us, we'll see you tomorrow..."

The phone call ends and I SCREAM LOUD...which then triggers Sue's headset to flip on...and she yells back, "DON'T SCREAM..." Then we're both SCREAMING at each other...and once things calmed down, I said, "You'll never believe it, I'm such an idiot...Melissa and her family were planning on us TONIGHT, they're all there and here we are...STUPID, how can I be so stupid???"

Have you ever been there? Have you ever felt like a complete and total idiot, failure, screw up? It doesn't feel very good! And it's all because I got the PLANS all crossed up...planning and plans, are SO important. Do it right and the world goes just as it should, do it wrong and it leads to total and complete idiocy or failure.

Guess what, this weekend, I will be speaking at The Crossing, here's the topic, "Planning!" I have a ton to learn, you might too! See you this weekend at The Crossing!

With my dunce cap on,

Tim Celek
Lead Pastor

P.S. You must read about James Paley, God has REALLY changed his life. A big thanks goes to him for the way his serves God at The Crossing. Also, a huge shout out to Ryan Argue, make sure you read the way he is letting God use him at our church. Finally, Colleen Whitfield, she LOVES kids. I mean, really and truly loves kids...her own and the kids of The Crossing. Make sure you read all about her.