Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tiny Tot MMA Fight in Church Nursery

Watching kids in a church nursery can be insightful look into the heart of human beings.  This past weekend, I witnessed one very cute little one who as bold as they could possibly be toddle up to another quite cute little one and just RIP a toy right out of their tiny hand.  The ripped off one was stunned.  They stood there for a moment in awkward silence and then screamed at the top of little lungs.

This wasn't the end of the story.  The next time the little perpetrator saw that the other cute little one had another toy in their tiny hand, they, AGAIN, waddled over and stripped them of this one.  Only this time, the one who was twice violated, went over and tried to grab their prized possession and take it back, at which point an all out "tiny tot" MMA fight resulted.

I hope it's okay to say it was quite humorous, really, it was, of course neither of them were my children.  However, in that very brief moment, these little ones represented us all.  James 4:1 & following says, "What causes the fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from the desires that battle within you?"

The reality is, these little ones haven't yet learned to filter their sinfulness and their selfishness or at the very least they haven't become socially adept at making their selfishness look societally appropriate, right?

God wants us to come to Him.  He wants us to ask Him.  However, sometimes, we ask with all kinds of fouled up junk in our hearts.

Today is a good day to look at what it is we say we want.  Today is a good day to assess, the "why" we want what it is we want, I mean, to really assess the reasoning behind it all.  Today let's use God's Word as a mirror for our motives.  Quite possibly God is silent in our asking cause He knows what will become of us if we get what we want.

I know this, my prayer for today is to continue to ask for the empowerment of God's Holy Spirit in my life to assist me in monitoring my motives, as well as to provide for me the graciousness and gratitude to be truly thankful for what I already do have.  I know that when I live in a state of humble gratitude, I don't find myself quarreling and fighting with others or with God.  Plus, my prayer life is different, too!!!

Tim Celek
Lead Pastor
The Crossing
thecrossing.com
facebook.com/timcelek
thecrossing.com/3thirty