Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Do People See Jesus in Me?

It's incredible how easy it is, to say one thing and do another.  Politics and politicians have almost conditioned us to the folly of speaking, but not doing.  Some of us had parents or coaches or pastors or teachers...whose de facto slogan for life might as well have, "Do as I say, but not as I do!"

The word, "hypocrisy" came to mind as I read James 1:25-27.  Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, morals or religious beliefs, that one doesn't actually have.  James directly gets at our proclivity as people for "talking" a good game, but not actually playing the game.  Unfortunately, we do this to our own demise, we're not "blessed" (James 1:25) and God's most excellent way of life, as a result of our two faced behavior, is thrashed and trashed, making our "religion worthless." (James 1:26)

No wonder many leave our churches!!!  The peeps proudly carrying those big bibles in, aren't living by it on their way out.  Or for that matter, many never, ever show up, cause if it's true that the only bible some people will ever read is our lives, well then we're not all that compelling of a novel.  Sad, huh!

First and foremost, I pray that what I say and what I do would be compelling congruent with God's Word.  I pray that in my speech, in my actions, in my thoughts, God's Word is at all times on display.  I pray that today and tomorrow and forever, I will consciously seek through God's Holy Spirit's power to be more loving, more joyful, more peaceful, more patient, more kind, more good, more gentle, more faithful, more self controlled.

This is my prayer for you, as well.  Let us all really live so people see Jesus in us!!!

Tim Celek
Lead Pastor
The Crossing
thecrossing.com
facebook.com/timcelek
thecrossing.com/3thirty